Annual Report 2020
2020 in numbers
Total Impact Factor
Average Impact Factor
Scientific production Q1
New competitive projects
Observational studies active
(14 new in 2020)
Active clinical trials (34 new in 2020)
Companies and entities collaborators
Total collaborating companies
Contribution to IRBLleida
The contributions made by companies and entities that work with IRBLleida have the mission of promoting, developing, managing and disseminating biomedical research in Lleida.
Donations allow us to investigate major diseases such as cancer, stroke, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, pleura, aging, the nervous system, the cardiovascular system, disorders and respiratory infections, and mental disorders, among others, to provide better services to our population. At present, IRBLleida has the support of 135 companies and entities from Lleida, whose help the search for their groups has produced important results.
Become a friend of the IRBLleida for the
future of biomedical research in Lleida
To promote research on health and impact on the quality of life of the population.
To improve the treatment of many diseases, to the benefit of the health of our children, grandchildren and future generations.
To collaborate with the scientific community, with patients and citizens.
Strategic lines and singular areas
The Center for Applied Biomedical Experimental Research (CREBA) is devoted to research and training in the field of biomedicine
Promoted by the Diputació de Lleida and the Institut de Recerca Biomedical of Lleida, CREBA was created in response to the growing demand for specialized and quality facilities for translational research and continuing education of researchers and health professionals.
Taking advantage of the wide productive activity of our province, the CREBA specializes in techniques and models applied to pigs as an experimental animal, which currently has a growing interest in the field of biomedicine.
In addition to the purely technical and scientific lines of work, CREBA is very active on transparency and dissemination of their scientific activity in schools and social groups.
CREBA has teaching and simulation classrooms, as well as four large operating rooms equipped with cutting edge technology for open, laparoscopic surgery or other techniques interventionists. It also has a housing area of pigs.
Experimental operating rooms
• 3 individual operating rooms (with a surgical table each)
• 1 multiple operating room, with capacity for 5 surgical tables.
Facilities and surgical equipment
• Complete laparoscopic surgery equipment (Karl Storz brand), with the possibility of fluorescence-guided surgery and 3D Technology.
• Electrosurgical systems (monopolar and bipolar energy platforms).
• Cardiovascular and respiratory monitoring systems for large animals.
• Monitors of various sizes (40, 43, 28, and 24), which can receive images of the laparoscopy system, a zenithal camera on surgery, or an ambient camera. Resources can also be projected from a computer or mobile device on these screens.
• Surgical LED lights, with color temperature control, brightness and light focus amplitude.
• Audiovisual equipment that allows live visualization, recording and broadcasting interventions in high definition, both on a large screen in the operating room itself, and remotely.
• Stainless steel surgical tables, with an area of 150 x 60cm, in the form of 2 tilting blades (book type). Electric, adjustable in height and inclination.
• Mobile columns with electrical, gas, video and audio connections, and with control of surgical lights.
• Centralized supply of gases (O2, CO2, and medicinal air) and vacuum.
• Surgical material for open and laparoscopic surgery.
Live image equipment
• Mobile C-arm, Philips brand, BV Endura model (traumatology and angiography).
• Hanging aprons (1 mm lead) and other radiological protections.
• Surgical tables with a radiolucent surface of 150 x 60 cm. Electric, adjustable in height.
• Parasympathetic Tone Monitoring Equipment (PTA).
• Infusion pumps.
‘The Health Bus’ is a successful experience. Since January 2019, it has continued to visit numerous municipalities in the province of Lleida in order to review a total of 1,827 patients, previously visited in 2015, with the aim of learning about the evolution of atheromatosis, the hidden kidney disease and peripheral arterial pathology, after 4 years. The project, led by the Vascular and Renal Translational Research Group, has the participation of four other IRBLleida groups: Translational Research in Respiratory Medicine, Immunology and Metabolism Research Group (GRIM), Clinical Neurosciences and Metabolic Pathophysiology.
Health benefit: Thanks to “El Bus de la Salut” we have detected numerous hidden (unknown) pathologies of great prevalence:
• Arterial diseases (84.5% of people visited). • Kidney disease (24% of people visited).
• Diabetes (4.6% of people visited).
• Prediabetes (49.2% of people visited).
• Hypertension (35% of people visited).
The importance of its detection lies in the fact that an intervention (pharmacological or not) can prevent morbidity and mortality and the resulting disabilities. In addition, being an asymptomatic population,
it helps to strengthen the commitment to make lifestyle changes in order to control the risk factors for cardiovascular diseases.
Benefit in saving health resources in pathologies
Treatment of potentially preventable diseases in hospitals (myocardial infarctions, strokes, dialysis treatment, transplantation ...) accounts for a large proportion of the health budget, as well as significant costs in dependencies and social.
Equity in Health Care
• ‘The Health Bus’ generates knowledge integrating traditional risk factors, environmental and socio-economic factors. The massive analysis of all these data will allow the application of personalized medicine in pathologies in which risk estimation is applied without taking into account the individual vulnerability or the environment.
• Brings diagnostic technologies closer to rural areas distant from hospital centers, allowing prevention to avoid health problems that lead to greater dependence and thus reducing the quality of life of patients.
• Reinforces the role of nursing professionals, who are responsible for the studies carried out in ‘El Bus de la Salut’.
The Technical Scientific Services (SCT) of the IRBLleida are facilities with infrastructures and large equipment necessary for the performance of specialised techniques.
Its mission is to provide scientific and technological support to IRBLleida's research groups, as well as external entities and companies, for the development of research and innovation projects in the field of biomedicine.
Research activity by areas and groups
Therapeutic and experimental medicine
Stress in biological systems
Other research lines
Cellular and molecular models of human pathologies
- Cumulative impact factor
- Number of publications
2020 Scientific production by research areas.
Total number of articles per area and cumulative IF per area.
In 2020, IRBLleida researchers produced a total of 283 scientific publications, of which 267 are original publications, 13 review articles and 3 letters.
|Publications||Average IF||Cummulative IF|
Publications according to Typology
Scientific production in percentage of publications according to typology (article, review and other types of publications).
Publications by Quartile
Scientific production for 2020 by specialty quartiles. Percentage of publications per quartile (Q).
Publications and citations historical series
Total number of publications in the last 5 years. The blue line indicates the cumulative number of citations per year.
Impact factor historical series
Evolution of the accumulated Impact Factor (IF) (bars) and average Impact Factor (points), The 2020 IF has been calculated according to the 2019 journal citation report.
Clinical trials and observational studies funds
Historical data on funds from clinical trials and observational studies.
Impact by research group
|Collaborating companies and entities||133,561€||143,382€||142,799€||174,084€||145,671€|
|Major donors (more than 12,000 €)||20,000€||20,000€||47,000€||32,000€||158,000€|
|Other activities (Confinarun, Paquita Ràfales)||0€||0€||0€||15,000€||33,845€|